Here is the Original Recipe for Almond Paste.
Almond Paste is used to decorate lots of sweets, especially cake.
It is widely used in southern Italy, in fact it is originally from Palermo, made for the first time by the nuns of the Martorana Church.
One of the most famous dessert, the queen of the cakes, the Sicilian Cassata is covered with a layer of almond paste.
- 250 g almond flour 1 ⅔ cup
- 250 g powdered sugar 2 cups
- 2 tbsp honey
- 60 ml water ¼ cup
- bitter almond extract drops
- In a bowl pour almond flour with sifted sugar and mix very well.
- Dig a hole in the center of the mixture and add the honey and the almond extract.
- With a fork work it, in order to mix everything, pour the crumble on a pastry board and work with your hands, adding water little by little, to form a smooth dough.
- It is ready to be used.
- Or you can freeze it in a food bag and then remove the air from the bag.
- When you have to use it, let it defrost slowly in the refrigerator then another hour at room temperature.