The Dark Cherry Jelly and Mascarpone Cream in a Fried Sponge Cake that I present to you today is really delicious. It is one of those desserts that you prepare during the weekend and you can enjoy it with some friends or family.
Have you ever tried fried sponge cake?
I was very skeptical about making this dessert, frying the sponge cake, how will come out.
Instead, it was triumphant. I cannot describe the goodness of this cake! I suggest you follow my step-by-step recipe and try it. And let me know how it turns out!
The mascarpone cream is the classic one that you might’ve noticed in other amazing recipes (that you should also check out) like the Sbriciolata Cake or in Puffy Twist. It is a rich and smooth cream and a perfect filling for any type of dessert. Together with the dark Cherry Jelly, they form a perfect combination to go along with the fried sponge cake.
Dark Cherry Jelly and Mascarpone Cream in a Fried Sponge Cake
- 5 medium eggs room temperature
- 100 g flour 00 ⅔ cup
- 30 g potato starch ¼ cup
- 30 g grounded pistachio 1.1 oz
- 150 g sugar ⅔ cup
- 1 grated lemon peel
- 1 scraped vanilla caviar
- 250 g mascarpone cheese 8.8 oz
- 120 g whipping cream 4.2 oz
- 120 g powdered sugar 1 cup
Dark Cherry Jelly
- 400 g dark frozen cherries boneless 0.88 lb
- ½ glass lemon juice
- 1 powdered gelatin bag
- 60 g sugar ¼ cup
- Sponge Cake
- Mix the eggs with sugar, lemon zest, and vanilla caviar.
- Beat the mixture in a mixer for 15 minutes.
- Add the sifted flour, potato starch, and grounded pistachio.
- Then mix with the spatula and move the mixture from the bottom to the top.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat.
- Lightly grease frying pan. You know the pan is ready if a drop of water will evaporate immediately.
- Drop 2-3 tablespoons of batter onto the lightly greased pan. Bake on one side for about 2 minutes;
- then turn the flat cake and cook the other side until goldish brown.
- Mascarpone Cream
- Whip the cream with the powdered sugar and incorporate the Mascarpone cheese little by little, stirring it with a spatula from the bottom to the top.
- Shape the mascarpone cheese into a ring cutter, of the same size as the flat cake, and then place it onto the flat pan and freeze for 2-4 hrs.
- Dark Cherry Jelly
- Place the dark frozen cherries in a saucepan.
- Let them cook until they release their juice and then stir from time to time.
- Use a Hand Blender until you get a smooth cream and filter.
- Sprinkle gelatin over cold lemon juice and let it sit still for 5 minutes.
- Dissolve in a pan at low flame.
- Put the dissolved gelatin into the filtered cherry cream and stir until it is incorporated.
- Shape the jelly into a ring cutter place it onto a flat pan and freeze for 2-4 hrs.
- Place the frozen mascarpone cream and the frozen dark cherry jelly between two flat fried sponge cakes as a sandwich and put your finished product into the fridge to warm up a little bit instead of being too frozen.
- Before serving, sprinkle the top with a bit of powdered sugar and you’re done!