This delicious apple cake (torta di mele) is my favorite comfort dessert. I hope it becomes yours, too. It’s soft, fully loaded with apples, and simple to make.
It is the typical grandmother’s cake, it is a memory that most of us keep in the drawer of memories that is our childhood.
This nonna recipe is jealously kept in a locked box and woe betide anyone who steals it.
This particular apple cake is in fact perfect to serve for breakfast for the whole family, for a snack with friends, but also to finish dinner (in this case, simply accompany it with a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream).
I made this cake this morning and already half of it is gone for breakfast.
You know when you wake up very early in the morning and roll over and over in bed until you decide to get up? That was this kind of morning. When I finally did get out of bed and accepted fate., I was thinking about what to prepare for breakfast and my grandmother popped into mind and so naturally, so did apple pie. Luckily, I had all the ingredients at home.
How to make Delicious Apple Cake (Torta di Mele).
The procedure is very simple and fast, just follow a few simple steps to bake a soft and fragrant cake. The apples I chose are the delicious golden organic ones. The apples should be peeled, cored, and sliced for this recipe.
By removing the core with the right tool, it will make it easier to cut them into cubes.
This cake is made following 4 simple steps: beat the eggs with the sugar until they are frothy, then add the melted butter at room temperature mix everything well, add the flour and the sifted baking powder, and at the end I added some cream (Half and half instead of milk). After everything is well blended add the apple cubes and transfer the mixture to a baking tray with parchment paper, cover the surface of the cake with granular sugar.
More recipes with apples.
If you love apples you can indulge yourself in making different delicious recipes, here are some of my favorite choices: do not miss this recipe Apple Focaccia, an original Genovese recipe, or the Apple Sfogliatine recipe.
Delicious Apple Cake (Torta di Mele)
- 1 ¼ cups flour “00”
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup melted butter
- 1 ½ cup half & half cream
- 4 organic golden delicious apples
- Beat the eggs with the sugar until a frothy mixture is obtained.
- Add the melted butter at room temperature, continue to whip the mixture.
- Add the sifted flour and baking powder, then mix with a spatula.
- Add the half and half cream and mix everything.
- Peel the apples cut them into not too large cubes, and add them to the mixture, mixing carefully.
- Arrange everything inside a pan of 24cm Diameter (9 inches), suitably lined with parchment paper, leveling it well with a spoon, and cover the surface of the cake with granular sugar.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C (356°F) for about 40 minutes, or until a toothpick stuck in the center of the cake comes out dry.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool completely before unmolding.
- Serve the apple pie with a sprinkling of granulated sugar or icing sugar.
Leave a Reply