Today I have prepared FRIED PIZZETTE for my children.
They are an indelible memory of when I was a child and I went to visit my godmother.
Are fried pizzette Neapolitan?
I don’t know if the origin is Neapolitan but they are also made in Sicily. As you approached the door of my godmother’s house you could smell the frying already, and I began to drool, I couldn’t wait to gorge. She made me find these pizzettes on the table still warm, smelling of fresh basil. And I was devouring them even though I knew they were too hot and I would burn myself when I bit into them. And she would say “eat, eat don’t worry about getting messy“.
I very much hope that my children will one day be able to remember these dishes, making them travel to the past, like how I am doing with this blog.
Fried Pizzette – Indelible Memory
- 400 g flour 00 14.1 oz
- 250 ml warm water 1 cup
- 1 envelope dry yeast
- 1 tbsp EVO oil
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 400 g crushed peeled tomato 14.1 oz
- 1 small chopped onion
- 2 tbsp EVO oil
- Salt and pepper
- 100 g grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese or pecorino cheese 3.5 oz
- In a bowl pour the flour, sugar, salt, dry yeast, and mix. Add water, oil and mix with your hands or a spoon until you get a well-blended dough.
- Cover with a napkin and let rise for 1 hr and 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into balls and leave to rise for another half hour.
- Crush them with your hands, so as to obtain a round pizzette of about 10 cm (4 inches in diameter).
- With the tips of a fork punch the surface of these small pizzettes.
- Prepare the tomato sauce.
- Fry a small onion cut into small pieces in extra virgin olive oil.
- Add the crushed peeled tomatoes, salt, and pepper and cook for about 15-20 minutes.
- Heat plenty of sunflower oil in a high-sided pan (without exceeding 170°C= 340°F) and fry a few small pizzette at a time until golden brown.
- Drain on kitchen paper.
- Season them still warm with a tablespoon of tomato sauce, parmigiano, or pecorino cheese and chopped basil leaves.
- Serve immediately, they are delicious.