The soft and delicious “girelle alla pizzaiola” will quickly become anyone’s favorite, savory finger food.
When I made it for my children, they were a bit hesitant at first, as most people are to new foods, but immediately after the first bite, they reached out to grab one more piece.
After a good 15 minutes, they gobbled them all up and were immediately asking for more.
Be ready to take on the responsibility of making these at least once a week to satisfy your and other’s dependency.
Consistency is key with this recipe. The softness of the sauce and mozzarella contrast with the crunchiness of the puff pastry but completes it all the same.
Delicious Puff Pastry “Girelle alla Pizzaiola”
- 1 package frozen puff pastry thawed
- 200 ml of tomato sauce ~ 1cup
- 1 clove of garlic
- 200 g of mozzarella cut into slides 7oz
- extra virgin olive oil
- Fry the garlic clove in a pan with the oil.
- Remove the garlic clove.
- Add the tomato sauce, add salt, pepper, and oregano,
- Cook for 5 minutes, just long enough for the sauce to thicken and turn off the flame.
- On the entire surface of your puff pastry, arrange the previously prepared sauce and the mozzarella, as shown in the figure, and a few basils leaves.
- Add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and roll your puff pastry from the longer side.
- Wrap the roll in cling film and put it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the fridge and cut it into slices about 2 cm thick.
- Arrange the girelle on a baking tray covered with baking paper.
- Spacing them a few centimeters apart because they will increase in volume when they’re cooking and sprinkle them with more extra virgin olive oil.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 ° C for about 15 minutes.
- Once ready, let cool and serve.