Handmade Ravioli with mushroom filling, together with spinach-filled Ravioli, is a classic first course of fresh pasta. It is delicious and always highly appreciated, ideal to bring to the table even for the holidays.
These ravioli are certainly a substantial first course due to the use of fresh egg pasta. Furthermore, they also have a very delicate flavor thanks to the mushroom filling mixed with ricotta and grated Parmigiano Reggiano.
How to make homemade ravioli
First, we need to prepare fresh egg pasta; you can use 00 flour by itself or mix it together with semolina.
In this recipe I used the second option with a ratio of semolina and flour 00 of 1: 1.
The core for a perfect egg dough starts from the ingredients so make sure the eggs are very fresh. To make dough for four people, use 400 grams of flour (200g of 00 flour and 200g of semolina), four eggs, and a little bit of salt.
If you have more than four guests at the table, remember that the proportion to maintain for the ingredients is one egg per 100 grams of flour.
When I have to make stuffed pasta, like ravioli I like to use semolina specifically the one by Caputo mill; when I lived in Italy I found it in supermarkets; here, fortunately, I found it on Amazon which is a little more expensive but it’s worth it!
Mix the two flours together with the salt on the pastry board and create a cavity in the center of the flour. Break the eggs in the center of the flour crater. Lightly beat the eggs with a fork, just enough to mix the yolks and whites together, then start incorporating a little flour from the edges of the crater.
Continue to add the flour to the eggs, taking it from the walls of the flour; at this point the dough will begin to form granules. Continue to work the ingredients with your fingers until you have collected all the flour, incorporating it into the eggs. When the dough is completely blended, start kneading it with both hands. If the dough is hard to work with and it crumbles, add a little hot water until it is at a good consistency. Work it until the dough becomes soft and easily detaches from your hands and work surface.
How to make mushroom filling
Once the dough has been prepared, it’s time to decide which filling to put inside the fresh ravioli.
The mushrooms are sautéed with garlic and aromatic herbs, then add ricotta and parmesan cheese and blend everything to obtain a thick cream.
I used crimini mushrooms, but porcini mushrooms can be used giving it an even stronger flavor.
Handmade ravioli with mushroom filling
- 200 g 00 flour 1¼ cups
- 200 g Caputo semolina 1¼ cups
- 4 eggs
- ¼ warm water optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
Crimini Mushrooms filling
- 450 g crimini mushrooms 1 pound
- 1 clove of garlic
- salt and pepper
- chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons of grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 3 tablespoons of ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of cream
- Sift the flour and arrange it in a heap on your work surface.
- Add the eggs and the salt and with a fork beat the eggs together.
- Then begin to incorporate the mixture of flour, starting from the inner rim of the hole.
- You can add a little water to make it easier if the dough is hard.
- Knead vigorously by punching the dough.
- Form a loaf that you will then wrap in plastic wrap and leave to rest for at least 30 minutes.
- After, cut 4 pieces and take 1, keep the other 3 parts in the
plastic paper so they won’t dry out.
- Roll out each into a thin sheet (about 1 mm) with a rolling pin or a machine to roll out the dough.
- Make rectangular strips 12 cm x 30 cm (4.7 x12 inches) and put them to the side on a floured board.
- Crimini Mushrooms filling
- Brown the garlic clove in a pan with 3 tablespoons of oil.
- Add the cut and cleaned mushrooms and cook them for at least 10 minutes.
- Then add salt, pepper, and the chopped parsley to the pan.
- Cook for another 5 minutes and then remove the garlic clove.
- Blend half of the mushrooms with a hand blender, adding the ricotta and the parmesan.
What to do with the rest of the mushrooms:
- To the other half of the mushrooms left in the pan, add 3 tablespoons of cream and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Then turn off the stove and keep them in the pan, this mixture will coat the ravioli afterward as a type of sauce.
- First place a sheet of dough on a floured surface.
- Distribute the tablespoons of filling evenly over half of the sheet of dough.
- Fold the other half over the fillings and press the dough around each mound of filling to remove the air and then cut out squares with a pasta or pizza wheel cutter.
- Be sure to seal the ravioli well.
- To cook the pasta, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add ravioli and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Once they float to the top it is done.
- Drain pasta and serve with the mushroom-cream mixture.
really i appreciate you made best recipe in this blog pictures also very awesome
Leave a Reply