Wondering what kind of desserts and sweet treats satisfy your sweet tooth? You are in the right place: this Italian Berry Mascarpone Cake will make a huge impression if you’re seeking a quick and easy cake recipe.
Anything with fluffy mascarpone cream is one of my favorite winter treats. Mascarpone and berry desserts are always a cult favorite, from Bosco Nevoso to a stunning Dark Cherry Jelly and Mascarpone Cream in a Fried Sponge Cake.
Cakes are a manifestation of happiness and focus. A slice of dessert puts you in a good mood immediately, but it’s also a beautiful sign of togetherness because there’s nothing more pleasant than sitting in a pastry shop with friends and chatting the latest news over a slice of dessert.
How to Make the Best Italian Berry Mascarpone Cake
This Italian Mascarpone Cake is layered with a homemade moist pistachio sponge cake, a delicious berry filling, and mascarpone whipped cream.
I started with the sponge cake recipe. The sponge cake is easy to make; the key is to use room temperature eggs that have been whisked for at least 15 minutes using an electric whisk or a planetary mixer.
Add the chopped pistachios and stir everything together once more.
Pour the batter into a cake pan (~10 inches) that has been buttered and floured, and bake for 20-25 minutes at 180°C (356°F) without opening the oven door.
When the cake is done, take it out of the oven and let it cool completely.
Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the sugar and cleaned berries. Bring to a boil over high heat. Once the syrup has reached a boil, remove it from the heat and let the fruit infuse until the syrup is cold or slightly warm.
In order to make the Mascarpone Cream, in a mixer, beat the egg yolks and sugar at a high speed until the mixture is light and smooth.
While the mixer is running, gradually add the mascarpone cheese with the eggs, mixing thoroughly to avoid lumps.
Whip the egg whites in a separate basin, then fold them into the mascarpone cream mixture with a spatula in a top-to-bottom motion until smooth.
Cut the sponge cake into two equally thick discs.
Spread half of the mascarpone cream on one of the sponge cake discs that have been soaked in blood orange syrup, add the berries puree on top, and cover with the second disc. Glaze with the remaining mascarpone cream and decorate to your liking.
Italian Berry Mascarpone Cake Recipe
- 4 eggs
- butter to grease the pan
- 150 g sugar 3/4 cup
- 100 g chopped pistachios ~1 cup
- 100 g flour 00 ½ cup + 2 tbsp
- 500 g mascarpone cheese 18 oz
- 150 g sugar 3.5 oz
- 6 separated eggs
- 250 g organic fresh berries (whichever you like ) 8.8 oz
- 100 g sugar 3.5 oz
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
Blood Orange Syrup
- 2-3 organic blood oranges
- 1 ½ tbsp sugar
- 3 /4 cup water
- Mix the eggs with the sugar.
- Beat the mixture in a mixer for 15-20 minutes at medium speed (*).
- Add the sifted flour and mix with a spatula from the bottom to the top to obtain a homogeneous consistency.
- Add the chopped pistachios and stir everything together once more.
- Put the mixture into the cake pan (24 cm in diameter – 9-inch round and 1 1/2 inch deep) that is properly greased and lightly floured.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C (356°F) for about 20-25 minutes, never open the oven before 20 minutes.
- Do the toothpick test to check cooking, insert it in the center, and make sure it comes out clean.
- After the necessary cooling time, remove it from the mold.
- Allow the sponge cake to cool completely before slicing.
- Work the egg yolks in a mixer at maximum speed with 100g (3.5 oz) of sugar until the mixture is light and smooth.
- With the mixer in action add the mascarpone cheese little by little, amalgamating it very well to avoid lumps.
- In a clean bowl whip the egg whites and add little by little the rest of the sugar into the bowl.
- Once you fully whipped the egg whites and sugar together, incorporate them into the mixture of mascarpone mixing them together with a spatula, in a top to bottom motion until you get a smooth, fluffy cream.
- Let the fresh, clean berries cook in a saucepan with sugar and lemon juice until the berries release their juice and stir from time to time.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Once the syrup has reached a boil,remove it from the heat and let the fruit infuse until the syrup is cold orslightly warm.
Blood Orange Syrup
- Mix the water a sugar together
- Bring the sugar water to boil until all the sugar is melted.
- Remove from the heat and let cool it completely
- Squeeze the orange.
- Add the juice to the cold syrup sugar water and mix very well.
- Cut the sponge cake into two equally thick discs.
- Soak them with the blood orange syrup.
- Spread half of the mascarpone cream on one of the sponge cake discs.
- Add the berry puree on top, and cover with the second disc.
- Glaze with the remaining mascarpone cream and decorate to your liking.