Pasta cu li giri – This is a healthy and nourishing meal infused with organic Sicilian extra virgin olive oil for an easy weekday dinner that the whole family will enjoy!
Pasta cu li giri, or pasta with Swiss chard, is a traditional southern Italian dish that has been passed down from generation to generation, that we have all made at least once in our lives, and that, since it is a traditional recipe, everyone prepares it differently.
How do you make “pasta cu li giri”?
As I previously stated, everyone has their own recipe; nevertheless, I will show the recipe that I acquired from my mother.
Blanch the beets in salted water for a few minutes, then drain, reserving the cooking water for the pasta.
Meanwhile, I sauté some finely chopped onion in oil in a skillet for a couple of minutes, until the onion becomes transparent. Then add three tablespoons of tomato sauce, seasoned with salt and pepper and then cook for 3-5 minutes.
Add the veggies; add a little boiling water and decrease the broth, keeping it on the stove for another 10 minutes.
In the meantime, cook the pasta in the veggie water.
Drain it and add it to the vegetables as soon as it’s done cooking; mix everything together, drizzle with raw oil, and enjoy!
Pasta cu li giri or Pasta with Swiss Chard
- 14.11 oz ditalini pasta
- 2 bunches of Swiss chard removed ribs and stems, coarsely torn leaves
- organic Sicilian extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp tomato puree
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- salt and pepper
- Clean the giri -the Swiss chard- well.
- Remove the ribs and stems and coarsely rip the leaves apart
- Blanch the leaves in salted water for a few minutes.
- Drain them and conserve the left-over water for the pasta.
- Start cooking the pasta on the side with the veggie water.
- Meanwhile, sauté the onion in a large skillet with 2 tablespoons of oil.
- When the onion becomes transparent-like, add 4 -5 tablespoons of tomato puree, seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Let the tomato puree condense for 5 minutes.
- Then add the boiled chard with a ladle of veggie water and cook for another 5 minutes.
- After these steps your pasta should be done cooking.
- Drain a bit of the water until a ladle of water is left (appr. 1 cup).
- Then add the pasta to the skillet, mixing it with the tomato puree and the chards.
- Drizzle with raw oil and Enjoy!