Pasta with fried zucchini is very easy to prepare summer dish and the characteristic of this dish is that the pasta is seasoned with fried zucchini and with oil that the zucchini release, fried, exclusively extra virgin.
In Sicily, it is called “pasta cu la cucuzza fritta“( pasta with fried zucchini). We use a kind of pale green courgette and if you touch it, it is a bit hairy. If not consumed as soon as it is harvested, it tends to become woody.
An extremely tasty dish that requires only 3 top-quality seasonings, the good organic extra virgin olive oil, seasonal zucchini, and “u cascavaddu vecchiu ” the aged caciocavallo cheese (some use the salted ricotta).
- 400 g spaghetti 14 oz
- 2 zucchini
- 4 tbsp seasoned grated caciocavallo cheese
- 1 garlic clove
- Organic extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Chopped parsley (I prefer)
- Basil or mint (optional)
- Peel the zucchini (do not remove all the peel and slice it into round slices about half a centimeter.
- Fry them in plenty of boiling extra virgin olive oil, with unpeeled garlic (“aglio in camicia).
- When the zucchini are golden, drain them on a plate.
- In this case, I do not use absorbent paper because the oil that holds the courgettes helps me to flavor the pasta.
- Cook the pasta (only spaghetti in Siciland when there are 2 minutes left at the end of cooking, transfer them into a large bowl, add the fried zucchini and the remaining oil on the bottom of the dish, mix gently adding grated caciocavallo cheese and if necessary a little pasta cooking water.
- Add freshly ground black pepper, and chopped fresh parsley (basil or/and mint serve immediately.