The polpette di baccala are greedy and golden, ideal for an aperitif or a fish-based main course.
Salt Cod fritters are tasty fish based on crunchy bites of cod, flavored with an aromatic mince of parsley, chives, and capers.
A recipe designed for baccala lovers who in this preparation will find the unmistakable flavor that characterizes salted cod.
The baccala, cod preserved in salt, is one of the most popular foods especially in the winter months close to the Christmas holidays. Yet, in addition to taste, this fish reveals extraordinary nutritional properties, essential for health. So it can be eaten all year round.
How to prepare cod meatballs
The salted cod must be desalted before cooking it.
This is the procedure for soaking it:
- Brush the cod and remove the first layer of salt
- Wash the fish carefully and delicately
- Then immerse the cod in a large bowl full of cold water and leave it to soak for 24/36 hours, making sure to change the water every 8 hours
- If you wish, you can remove the skin at this point by pulling it from the head to the tail (it should come off very easily).
- Cut the cod into slices (the smaller the pieces, the less time it will take to desalt the cod)
- Depending on the size of your cod, resume soaking for another 12 hours
The cod has been properly soaked, you can now prepare the meatballs.
First, boil the potatoes in plenty of lightly salted water and when cooked, drain them, then peel them and mash them with a potato masher.
Also boil the cod by immersing it in a pan with cold water, a couple of bay leaves.
Drain the baccala and fray it with your hands, after which add the fish to the mashed potatoes, adding the parsley, chopped chives, capers, two eggs, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix all the ingredients with a spoon and your mixture will be ready to be put into shape. With the help of two slightly moistened spoons, take part of the mixture and work it until it is compact and then dip it into the beaten egg, and then into the crumbs, then turn it gently in your hands to give it a spherical shape.
Fry the meatballs in hot oil. When the meatballs are golden, drain them with the help of a damp spoon and place them on absorbent paper so that they lose all the excess oil.
Eat them with Sicilian orange and fennel salad. And let me know if you liked this recipe.
Polpette di Baccala (Salt Cod fritters)
- 1 lb baccala salt cod
- 10.6 oz boiled potatoes
- chopped chives
- chopped parsley
- 4 eggs 2 for the mixture and 2 for the breading
- salt and pepper
- Boil the potatoes in plenty of lightly salted water and when cooked, drain them.
- Peel the potatoes and mash them with the potato masher.
- Put the soaked cod in a pan with cold water, with a couple of bay leaves.
- Turn on the heat and boil for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, place the mashed potatoes, parsley, chives, capers, cod, and 2 beaten eggs, salt, and pepper.
- Mix all the ingredients with a spoon.
- Prepare 2 bowls: one for the breadcrumbs and one for the beaten eggs.
- With the help of two slightly moistened spoons, take part of the mixture and work it until it is compact.
- Put it first in the bowl with the beaten eggs
- and then into the breadcrumbs.
- Gently turn it over in your hands to give it the spherical shape.
- Fry the meatballs in hot oil.
- When the meatballs are golden, drain them with the help of a damp spoon and place them on absorbent paper so that they lose excess oil.
Looking forward to making these cod fish balls!
Leave a Reply