Rigatoni with ricotta cream is a classic Sicilian dish and represents one of the first simple, genuine dishes first made by the poor and peasants of southern Italy.
A very easy to prepare, very good pasta dish due to the creaminess of the ricotta paired with the pecorino cheese, nutmeg, and pepper. It can be prepared both with cow’s milk ricotta and with sheep’s ricotta, the latter is much tastier.
Last December I went to Sicily to visit my family.
During my stay in Sicily, as you know the visits to family members and friends are not lacking, memories emerge and you would like to enjoy every moment with them so that when you return to the USA you can have more beautiful memories to relive.
One day, dear childhood friends reminded me of the times where we went to eat pasta and ricotta in a trattoria in Palermo. It was very good!!! I can’t ever forget the taste and aroma of fresh ricotta.
I hope this recipe of mine gives you the same feelings it gives me every time I eat rigatoni with ricotta cream.
Enjoy every single rigatoni.
Rigatoni with Ricotta Cream
- 400 g rigatoni 14 oz
- 350 g fresh sheep ricotta 1 ½ cups
- 100 g grated half-aged pecorino 3.5 oz
- black pepper
- Cook the pasta in salted boiled water.
- In the meantime, sift the ricotta, put it in a bowl, and mix it with a few tablespoons of pasta cooking water, until creamy.
- Add a handful of grated pecorino cheese, a sprinkling of nutmeg, and the pasta al dente to this ricotta cream. mix well, so that the ricotta is evenly distributed.
- Serve sprinkling with pecorino and sprinkle with freshly ground pepper.
What do you mean by sift the ricotta ? Looks delicious,can’t wait to try this recipe .
Leave a Reply