The rustic puff pastry pie with zucchini is a really quick and easy plate to prepare.
The rustic zucchini pie is a savory vegetable tart with a melted mozzarella filling. You can bring it to the table as a delicious appetizer, as a vegetarian main course, or as a single dish for lunch or picnic breaks.
While I was preparing this delicious rustic pie, my daughter and I found ourselves in a pretty deep conversation about emotions and our personal philosophy of life.
She is quite the talker and always has been even when she as little. There were times full grown adults had to tell her to stop talking because she just didn’t realize how long she was talking for.
Now that she is older, she talks about stuff that actually has some substantial value but sometimes I can’t keep up.
She is very much into politics and philosophy now and she is definitely not afraid to challenge our ideals.
So, while we were hitting the heavy stuff I kind of started laughing because I realized she was talking about something that could seem very personal to a lot of people at eleven in the morning like it was a simple conversation. When she realized this as well we had a small laugh together, but in the end, I am glad that she entrusts me to talk about topics like mental health and political ideologies.
It made preparing this rustic pie a bit more interesting and I felt like our conversation even made it a bit tastier; as they say “love is the special ingredient”.
I hope during these harsh times that you spend as much time as possible talking and spending time with your loved ones, whether it’s with your family or friends, and maybe have this “torta” alongside you for the ride.
Rustic Pie with Zucchini
- 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry thawed
- 150 g 4 flat slices of Swiss cheese 5.3 oz
- 2-3 medium zucchini
- 200 g mozzarella cheese 7.05 oz
- 50 g grated cheddar cheese 1.8 oz
- salt and pepper
- fry oil
- Cut the zucchini into a lozenge shape or lengthwise and fry them.
- Pepper and salt them.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a baking sheet lined with baking paper (8 inches = 20 cm)) so that there is enough pastry in order to fold them onto the pie like a border.
- Arrange a layer of fried zucchini on the bottom of the puff pastry, on top of this layer lay some mozzarella slices and on top of the mozzarella lay down the 4 slices of Swiss cheese.
- Cover with the remaining layer of zucchini and sprinkle with the shredded cheese blend.
- Fold the edges and bake at 180°C (356°F) for at least 40 minutes.
- You can enjoy it hot or cold, for preference sake.