The sfogliatelle with meat is part of Sicily’s Tavola Calda.
They are delightful puff pastry dumplings filled with ragu meat.
They are also part of Sicilian street food, too.
Do not miss this delight, if you are going to Sicily, ask for Sfogliatelle with meat.
- 2 frozen puff pastry sheets thawed
- 350 g minced meat 12.4 oz
- 250 ml tomato sauce 1 cup
- 1 chopped heart celery
- 1 medium chopped carrot
- 1 small chopped onion
- salt and pepper
- 60 g peas 5 tbsps
- extra virgin olive oil 2 tbsps
- 1 beaten egg
- Heat oil in a pan, add celery, carrot, and onion.
- Cook for 10 minutes and add the meat Saute` over high heat, stirring constantly and grinding it with a fork.
- Season it with salt and pepper. Add the tomato sauce and the cloves, stir it with a spoon.
- Bring the mix to a boil, close the pan with the lid but remember to keep a little opening, and cook over a low flame for at least 2 hours till the sauce shrinks, 20 minutes before adding the peas and let it finish to cook.
- Thaw the dough in the fridge for 3 to 4 hours or follow the instructions on the box.
- Roll out the puff pastry to a thickness less than 1/8 inches and make many squares.
- Place the filling in a part of the square.
- Brush the edges with the beaten egg, and cover with the other part of the square of puff pastry, pressing lightly to seal the edges well.
- Brush the sfogliatelle with the beaten egg and bake in a preheated oven at 200°C (392°F) for 15-20 minutes.