Stuffed peppers are a dish that cannot be missing in Italian cuisine, especially in the south.
How to make for dinner?
In Sicily Stuffed peppers ( peperoni ripieni) are a classic of the kitchen, the Sicilians have inherited this dish as in most recipes from the Arab culture.
The filling can be made up of always different ingredients, but for these stuffed peppers they are a bit distant from the Sicilian ones in particular, with breadcrumbs, pine nuts, and raisins, which is the filling of many Sicilian recipes such as eggplant rolls or the mythical, Sardinian delicacies “a beccafico”.
This time I wanted to detach myself from this tradition that runs in my veins, and I tried to make a filling, yes always with a little bit of breadcrumbs because those cannot be missing, but the main ingredients are peas and Portobello mushrooms sprinkled with a very tasty goat cream cheese.
Best Stuffed Peppers with Peas, and Goat Cheese.
- 2 large peppers red, yellow
- 150 g of soft goat cheese 5.3 oz
- 1 large portobello mushroom
- 150 g frozen peas 5.3 oz
- 1/2 onion and a clove of garlic
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon of breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- How to make baked stuffed peppers?
- First of all, cut the peppers in half lengthwise.
- Remove the seeds, rinse them, drain and cut off the top, removing the green stalk.
- Set them aside …
- Dice the Portobello mushroom.
- In a pan add 2 tablespoons of oil, the sliced onion, and a clove of minced garlic. Brown them for 1 minute;
- add the peas, sauté 3-5 minutes, add the pieces of Portobello, sauté for 2 minutes, and finally add a handful of parsley, salt, pepper, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the breadcrumbs and mix everything.
- At this point, arrange the pepper shells in a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Add a pinch of salt, a handful of crumbly goat cheese, 2 tablespoons of the vegetables, and continue to fill the peppers with them, alternating with the goat cheese.
- Cook at 180°C (356°F) for about 20 – 30 minutes.
- Then open, add another handful of goat cheese, a little Parmesan cheese, and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Activate the grill and cook in the upper part of the oven for another 8 – 10 minutes.