“SURPRISE” is actually the real name of these tasty pastries but are also known as “SIGARETTE DOLCI ALLA SICILIANA”.
These desserts are typical of the Palermo area, but now also widespread throughout Sicily and also in parts of Italy.
It is a real amazing “Surprise” when that very delicate and crispy waffle, made of egg whites and inside ricotta cream, explodes inside your mouth at the first bite, letting you enter the full enjoyment of Sicilian pastry. They are NOT Cannoli!
Surprise – Sigarette Dolci alla Siciliana
- 100 g flour 1 cup
- 100 g powdered sugar 1 cup
- 3 white eggs
- 100 g soft butter 7.05 Tbsps
- 250 g ricotta 1 cup
- 60 g powdered sugar 8 Tbsps
- extract vanilla
- chocolate drops
- Ricotta Cream
- Sift the ricotta, add the 60g (8 Tbsps) sieved sugar.
- Mix to obtain a soft and silk cream.
- Add chocolate drops, grated cinnamon, and mix.
- Crispy Waffle Rolls
- Mix the soft butter with the 1 cup of powdered sugar very well with the electric whisk.
- Then add the egg whites, always mixing with the whisk, and when the mixture is well amalgamated add the sieved flour and the vanilla.
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (350°F).
- Prepare 10 cm (4 inches) diameter greaseproof paper disks, sprinkle the dough over each disk to cover it.
- Cook in the preheated oven for 6 minutes, then take out the pan and quickly take a wafer, turn it upside down and roll it on a stainless-steel cannoli form, or on the handle of a wooden spoon and pressing a little at the end so the edges do not reopen.
- Fill them with ricotta cream with the help of a pastry bag just before serving, because otherwise the wafer, with the humidity from filling, would lose its crunchiness.