Do they sound appealing?
Well, don’t worry they live up to the name!
They are puff pastry swirls with mascarpone, ricotta, and chocolate chips.
What can I tell you? They are a delight.
It is a recipe that I took from an Italian site, Giallo Zafferano, but I added my own touch by adding mascarpone which was not in the original recipe.
Aesthetically they are not as beautiful as those of Giallo Zafferano, but in terms of taste, I think the addition made it even better than what it was.
If you want another recipe with the use of puff pastry, I previously made a post about Puff twists with mascarpone, these are different in terms of shape and taste but will still satisfy your sweet tooth.
Swirls with Mascarpone, Ricotta, and Chocolate Chips
- 1 thawed puff pastry sheet
- 100 g drained ricotta ½ cup
- 100 g mascarpone cheese ½ cup
- 40 g granulated sugar 3.2 tbsp
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 40 g chocolate chips 1/4 cup
- icing sugar to decorate
- Preheat the oven at 190°C ( 374°F)
- In a bowl put the drained ricotta, mascarpone, sugar, and corn starch.
- Mix everything with a spoon.
- Unroll the thawed puff pastry and moisten the edge (1 cm) (0.4 inches) by brushing with a little water, which will serve to better seal your swirls.
- Spread the ricotta and mascarpone cream on the surface, leaving 1 cm free from the edges. Add the chocolate chips, keeping a few for decoration.
- Roll up from the shorter side, creating a roll.
- To get the swirls from the puff pastry log, instead of the usual knife, I used cotton thread (you can also use dental floss). In this way, you will get some nice round swirls and you will avoid the leakage of cream.
- Take the thread and put it around the log so when you pull the two opposing threads so they cut the log.
- Position it in order to make the swirl about 1 ½ cm (0.6 inches) thick.
- Pull the two threads and magically you will get the swirls.
- Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Add some chocolate chips kept aside, where they are missing, and bake for 15/20 minutes.
- Once ready, decorate them with icing sugar.