Roasted potatoes are a traditional Italian side dish made with only a few ingredients: potatoes, oil, salt, rosemary, and spices!
Perfect to serve with roasts and other major meals! Follow this Baked Potatoes Recipe step by step, which includes all the visual secrets, and you’ll have delicious crispy roasted potatoes in no time! with a golden surface and a delectable soft center!
There are various variations, like with any traditional recipe.
The recipe I’m proposing is a simple one that I’ve learned from my mother, whom I adore and can’t wait to see in Sicily in June.
And I promise to provide a lot of photos and delicious Sicilian recipes.
Returning to the recipe for baked potatoes, it does not matter which type of potato you use, if they are all cut to the same size. This will encourage even cooking, whether they are cubes, wedges, or sticks! Remember to use a non-stick pan so they won’t stick. The secret to getting potatoes that are crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside without wasting hours of time, and without boiling first, is to add 4 tablespoons of water to the pan of your perfectly seasoned potatoes. First, cook them at a moderately high temperature so that they will cook to perfection. Finally, turn on the grill, which will make them crispy and golden. I recommend not turning them for the first 20 minutes! The result, believe me, is the best roasted potatoes ever!
Which condiment to use for Traditional Italian Roasted Potatoes
In a mortar, I put and crushed all together some Sicilian coarse salt, Pepper Supreme grains, and fresh rosemary leaves. Cut an onion into slices and added a minced clove of garlic. I used a sprig of rosemary and 2 sage leaves.
Traditional Italian Roasted Potatoes
- 1 kg potatoes ~ 2 pounds
- 1 medium size onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 2 leaves of sage
- 1 fresh sprig of rosemary
- 4 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp Sicilian Coarse Salt
- Pepper Supreme
- Preheat the oven at 220C (428F).
- In a mortar with the pestle grind Sicilian coarse salt, Pepper Supreme grains, and some fresh rosemary leaves.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into wedges.
- Put the potatoes in a pan lined with parchment paper.
- Add sliced onion, the minced garlic, the ground spices, rosemary sprig needles, and sage leaves as well.
- Drizzle with 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- Combine everything with your hands, mixing all the flavors, and evenly distributing them across the potatoes.
- Place the potatoes in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until browned and tender.