Stew with potatoes is a traditional Italian recipe and ideal when you don’t know what to cook for dinner.
The slowly cooked meat with potatoes meshed together makes a pleasant taste and comforting texture, which is why this dish is often one of my favorite recipes to bring to life.
As with every traditional dish, each family keeps its recipe and its secrets, and this one that I present to you is from my dear mother.
My mom still lives in Italy, and when I asked her on the phone how she prepared the tasty stew that I loved when I still lived with my parents, she immediately told me, “Remember that you must have a trusted butcher because it’s essential that you choose the piece of meat well, they have to have parts with fat but without any large tendons and bones in order to make the broth”.
The stew is a dish that is cooked with the addition of broth or wine, so that the meat softens and becomes succulent.
Before the broth is added and before the vegetables are added, the meat must be browned in a little oil and butter, so that it takes on that nice golden color.
Salt, on the other hand, should only be added at the end, to prevent the sauce from becoming too savory as it shrinks.
- 1 pound bones.
- 1 carrot cut into large pieces
- 1 celery stalk cut in 2
- 1 onion cut into 4
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper as needed
- 2 pounds chopped sirloin steak
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 1 stalk of celery
- ½ glass of red wine
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 5 medium-sized potatoes
- In a saucepan, place the pieces of bones, a carrot, an onion, a stalk of celery, and a bay leaf.
- Cover with cold water and cook over low heat for an hour.
- Ten minutes before turning off, add the salt and pepper.
- Filter the broth and keep it warm.
- Put 3 tbsp of oil in a pan and brown the chopped onion, carrot, and celery.
- In another pan, over high heat, brown the pieces of meat previously cut into cubes in a tbsp of butter and 1 tbsp of oil.
- Deglaze everything with half a glass of red wine and when the sauce is ready, add it to the pan with the meat.
- Add three ladles of broth and two tablespoons of tomato paste.
- Cover with a lid and cook over low heat for an hour, turning the meat to prevent it from sticking.
- Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and cut them into small pieces, more or less the same size as the meat.
- Wash them, dry them, and add them to the stew, adding more broth if necessary.
- Cover and cook for about 40 minutes, until the potatoes are soft but not undone.
- Adjust the amount of salt if needed and serve.