If you want to taste the yummy veal cutlets you have to go to my mother’s house.
My mother’s cutlets are exclusively fried.
Although I follow my mom’s recipe step by step my children still say that mine are good but they’re not like grandma’s, which is valid.
Some of you may tell, ‘well they’re just normal veal cutlets, what’s so special about them?’. The uniqueness of these cutlets all boils down to how it’s made.
This recipe makes you take a dip in real Sicilian cuisine. The version of my mother’s cutlets includes a special breading, prepared with breadcrumbs, Parmigiano Reggiano, and Sicilian pecorino, together with parsley and mint leaves. Before breading, the slice of meat is left inside the beaten eggs with salt for 30 minutes in the fridge.
Tender slices of breaded and fried veal are a delicacy and difficult to resist, and can be prepared even when you don’t have much time available. With a few simple ingredients, you will get golden and crisp cutlets that can be served alongside a fresh vegetable side dish, such as the Sicilian orange salad.
My Mom’s Yummy Veal Cutlets (Cotolette di mia Madre)
- 250 g veal cutlets 8.8 oz 4 slices
- 130 g breadcrumbs 4.6 oz
- 1 ½ tbsp grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 ½ tbsp grated Sicilian Pecorino
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped mint
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Beat the eggs with a pinch of salt in a bowl.
- Immerse the veal inside the eggs so that they are covered with eggs and put them in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Mix the breadcrumbs, with pecorino, Parmigiano Reggiano, and chopped aromatic herbs on a plate.
- Add a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper.
- After 30 minutes, take the meat out of the fridge, and start the breading, pressing the veal slice well with your hands inside the breadcrumb mix so as to best adhere the breading to the slice of meat.
- Dip the slice of breaded meat inside a pan with hot oil.
- Turn the cutlets and finish cooking when they become golden brown.